Friday, July 11, 2008

Back On Track

After that very, very painful sweep by the BoSox, the Twinks are back on track.


But at first, I didn't know that, and was under the impression that they were very far off track, beacuse I thought they had lost.


Not because they were down 6-4 when the Tiggers but their closer in, (because I didn't get a chance to watch or listen to the game cause I was stuck babysitting from 8:30 to 4:00) but because I checked the score on my phone around 3:30, and the Quick-Score said we'd lost 6-3.



Needless to say, I was very sad. But I went to check the detailed score anyway.



I should have realized something was wrong with the program when the line score claimed we had 4 runs. And that it told me that Slowey pitched 3 innings and Breslow pitched 1.



"Well no wonder we lost!" I thought to myself "We only had a pitcher for 4 innings!"



Later that night, my dad called from Arizona, and the first thing he said to me was "Twinks won!" (Because that's usually the only thing we talk about)



Obiously, I was very confused, having spent the day mourning the loss and getting prepared for another terrible road trip like the one that started in Chicago. My dad didn't have time to go through the whole game with me, and I ended up still being confused, yet slightly hopeful.



So I did the only sensible thing to do in a situation like this- SportsCenter! Baseball Tonight!



And I was not disappointed.



Morneau went 5-5 with the game winning homer in the 11th inning, and he is the 1st player to go 5-5 or better with the game winning hit since Perez did it in 1973.



Spam Span went 4-4



Joe Nathan came in to pitch in the bottom of the ninth and threw 31 pitches, walking the bases loaded with only 1 out, and procceded to get two strikeouts to end the inning and strand 3 (haha Pudge!). And that's why he's an All-Star.



LNP and Morneau also had that really awesome double play. I won't try and describe, because it's so face-meltingly amazing that if I think about it, my face will drip off onto my keyboard and cause it to short-circuit.



But it was played many times on the late night shows, earning the #1 web-gem on Baseball Tonight and the #2 Top Play on SportsCenter. The newscasters even called LNP a "perpetual web-gem" and claimed that he's "the best athlete the Twins have on the field".

Can't really disagree.



This game was only Todd Jones' 2nd blown save.



And Matty Guerrier was the winning pitcher! In honor of that, I did a litte digging and found this adorable picture of him and his mom:








Wasn't he a cutie?

No comments: